Monday, December 5, 2011

Watchmen

Upon receiving my copy of Alan Moores Watchmen from Amazon, I knew it was one of those books that I haven't gotten around to reading and my procrastination mixed with its newfound fame from a mainstream movie would make it somewhat difficult to read.
I found there to be too many expectations of how I needed to experience the book, especially since many of my friends have always loved this work. It became one of those "I don't want to step on their turf because I will never understand it like they do" childhood fears. Kind of like when you watched a movie hundreds of times as a kid and felt like you were an expert at it.

I tried to not let those things get to me. I also tried to brush off the fact that I am not that interested in super heroes. I wanted to keep an open mind, I knew this was an amazing work of literature and art and I understand the validity in the work.

But there was something about just having completed many fluid and more contemporary memoir graphic novels that just kept me from really digesting and appreciating the book. The shakiness and darkness never sat well with me. All this having been said, I do think that I will be able to take a better look at it when I am at a different point in my own reading pattern.

But all that put aside, I enjoyed the basic premises of the setting. Taking semi-recent history and altering it slightly to create a world totally different from where we are in now was very intriguing. It seemed to put emphasis on how loosely our world today is put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment