Monday, December 5, 2011

European Comics

I picked a book off of the European comics list with the idea that these comics will have something that is beyond our American versions. I always get that sense when anyone recommends anything european, especially when it deals with an independent movie, book, or in this case a graphic novel.
Well what was really refreshing about Posy Simmonds Tamara Drewe, was that I really never felt the impacts of this undertone. I seem to really prefer graphic novels that rely on beautiful illustration and themes that are somewhat obtainable (though we all do enjoy some heavy underlying motifs).
The illustration was beautiful; one that didn't give me a headache. I really have trouble getting into a comic book if I find the lines to be too heavy and sectioned off, especially when I find the drawing style to be too much. Call me a snob, but we all have our preferences, almost like when you find yourself picking up a book for its cover...
But anyway, I did enjoy the contemporary feel to it. It became one of those reads that dove deep into things you never thought mattered when you were really little. Things that you didn't understand why people just brushed it off.
This focus was heightened by our first person perspective and made the complex weaving through networks of friends seem very realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment